As you want to convert .DMG file into .ISO, for example to create a LiveUSB you need a .ISO image to make it. The Mac image is a .dmg file, so you must to convert this file into .ISO, and then install it. There are no need to download third party app to accomplished this task, this feature is comes with Mac OS X. First of all you have to convert your .DMG to .CDR file and then rename it to .ISO, That’s it. If you don’t know how to do this, follow our step by step guide.
Converting a DMG to CDR:
– Open “Disk Utility” and click on “Convert”.
– Select .DMG file and change the “Image Format” to “DVD/CD Master” then click save button to process.
– It will take some time to complete the process.
– Once it’s done, right click on converted .CRD file and select “Get Info”. Here “Name & Extension” section change the extension from .cdr to .iso then then hit return key.
– It will ask you to change the extension, click on “Use .iso” and you are done!
Converting the CDR to ISO the using terminal:
If you want to be certain the ISO conversion and its headers are accurate, After converting .DMG to .CDR use the command line by launching terminal and then use the following hdiutil command:
$ hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o output_file.iso input_file.cdr
My .cdr image is on desktop, so first i will goto desktop then run this command.
$ cd Desktop
$ hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o audacity-macosx-ub-2.0.5.iso audacity-macosx-ub-2.0.5.cdr
Creating hybrid image...
Note: Make sure your file paths are correct.