This is a tutorial to gain root access to already updated Dell Streak 5.
Rooting voids the warranty of your device. We and the developer of this root procedures shall not be held responsible if any undesirable outcomes may happen to your device. use of this update guide is solely at your own risk!
Read the warnings below and decide whether you want to root your device or not.
– Before rooting your phone backup entire data otherwise you may lose it if the device gets bricked. Root the phone at your own risk and we can’t be held responsible.
– Use Go Backup Pro or Super Backup to backup all the android apps, contact, sms and all data stored on your phone.
Download Required Files:
– Dell Streak USB Driver.
– Fastboot+ADB Tools
– StreakMod Recovery Image File recovery-v0.3.2.8-beta.zip (3.57 MB)
– Root Image File Superuser.zip
– Install Dell USB Driver
– Unzip Fastboot+ADB.zip to a folder: C:\Fastboot+ADB
– Unzip ‘recovery-v0.3.2.8-beta.zip’ and copy ‘recovery.img’ to fastboot tools directory (i.e. C:\Fastboot+ADB\Win32\recovery.img)
– Copy the ‘Superuser.zip’ to Dell Streak SD card and rename it as ‘update.zip’
Steps to Root Dell Streak 5 on Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread:
Step 1. Enter fastboot mode and flash to the streakmod custom recovery.
Press and hold down the camera button and then press the power button. Release the button when you see a white screen.
Step 2. Connect your phone with PC/Laptop via USB data cable.
Step 3. Select Fast boot mode on the top right on your mobile (DS display will show FASTBOOT_MODE)
Step 4. Now it’s time to do some DOS commands from your PC to communicate with DS through the connected USB cable.
On your PC open command prompt and navigate to the path where you unzipped the fastboot tools.(C:\Fastboot+ADB). You have already copied the streakmod recovery (C:\Fastboot+ADB\recovery.img) to this folder. (see requirements)
Type this command and hit enter.
fastboot.exe -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img
You can see that your DS screen shows the response.(By the way, you can copy paste the commands to the DOS prompt. Right click on DOS command and paste.)
Now, Type this command and hit enter.
Step 5. On reboot, immediately go in recovery mode (hold both volume up and down buttons while powering on). Don’t let it go to full system boot yet.
Step 6. Select option 2: Update from update.pkg on sdcard. Now this would go to be the custom streakmod recovery. (See version number at lower bottom in yellow font. If not, you are not on StreakMod and you can’t proceed) Select update.zip and proceed instructions to root, Now the rooting process will start and finish. You should see the messages. On rebooting, your phone will be rooted.